With the lifestyle-related diseases on the rise, more and more people are curious of what is exactly in their food and how is their foods are being grown, made or processed. At Atlanta Harvest, you have the opportunity to come and see how the produce that you buy is being planted, cultivated and harvested. With these trends, more people are open to learning plant-based recipes to adopt a more plant-based lifestyle. Our nutritionist on staff has collected a wide range of plant-based recipes from her vegetarian and vegan upbringing and we will be sharing her favorites right here on our website. Cooking plant-based truly bring out your creativity as you can use all different combinations of fresh fruits and vegetables to mimic the taste and texture of your favorite animal sourced foods. Without further ado, here’s our Vegan Cheese Sauce recipe!
Vegan Cheese Sauce (Adapted from Super Fresh by Jennifer Houston and Ruth Tal)
- 2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup flaked nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup neutral-flavored vegetable oil (i.e. peanut, corn, safflower, sunflower, grapeseed or canola oil)
- 2/3 cup water (add more if need be for blending)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- In a medium saucepan, cook potatoes and carrots in boiling hot water. Cook until soft, about 30 minutes and drain.
- Blend cooked potatoes, carrots, nutritional yeast, oil, water, lemon juice and salt in a blender until smooth. Serve hot, or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Here at Atlanta Harvest, we love this vegan cheese sauce over sauteed summer squash or even over homemade potato wedges for a delicious vegan cheesy fries recipe. Try this recipe and tell us how you use it!